Monday, November 9, 2015

Whitefish Point Dive Shipwreck Panther Great Lakes Michigan

The shipwreck Panther located in the Lake Superior Whitefish, Point area. A wooden steamer 247 feet long in a depth about 110 feet to the bottom of the wreck. Date lost, 1916, collision with another steamer brought this ship down.

In the first photo is my dive buddy shining a light on a mushroom anchor. I am using an "antique" camera, Nikonos V with two strobes. Everything is manual even the focusing, you can't just look through the viewfinder and see that you need to adjust the focus. You need to make an estimate of distance to subject and set that number on the camera. Adjust the strobe lighting, set the f-stop and shutter speed, snap your photo and advance your film. Pretty challenging, especially when wearing big thick gloves. Now, there are digital cameras, that makes things a little easier.

Second photo is the same mushroom anchor taken from above. Other photos show the deck part of the wreck which is mostly broken up, chains, wood planks, and a metal gear can be seen.









10 comments:

  1. Gosh you are brave Diane! Loved looking at the photos. Thanks for sharing. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's just amazing - thank you so much for sharing these - I look forward to seeing more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fascinating! What great photos - loved your description on everything that needed to be done to take your pics (I remember those days so well, except for the gloves). A swim with history. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos, Diane! I too remember the old days of actual film cameras, although I never had an SLR that couldn't be focused via the viewfinder. (Always had a camera with a broken auto meter, though, so had to set that myself.) I lived for a while in the Twin Cities, and heard some pretty eerie stories about Lake Superior. Did it feel eerie to dive there? Supposedly, many ships have gone down in the lake. In any case, thanks for sharing this. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photos! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adventurous, Diane! I was up by Lake Superior (Ontonagon, MI area in NW Mich.) on vacation when I was a teen with my family - though we drove over through Mackinaw to southern MI, never was up by Whitefish Point to my knowledge - and we were always there in summer (August), but I think Lake Superior waters are COLD!!! Nice photos - yes I know about manual cameras like that, though I eventually got manual TTL cameras - still had to set the f-stop and shutter though as I preferred manual to get certain effects. But I shot on-land or over-the-water landscapes - not underwater pictures, LOL!! Very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos - an experience of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. I would not be a good scuba diver. I hold my breath while watching moving with underwater scenes and I just caught myself doing the same thing looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, Diane. Thank you for sharing your adventure. One day, one day, I'll go diving :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so cool! I agree, you are brave!

    ReplyDelete